On a bright, dry Oklahoma day a young boy was kicking at clods of dirt to see the clouds of dust transforming into brown and red wind sprites.
My grandfather, who was standing nearby, smiled and pointed at the jets high overhead, leaving their vapor trail for everyone to see. He said, " Do you see those jets? Their pilots have air masks to breath, yes?! Well, what do you think happens to their air when you send that dust up?" Visualizing the pilot coughing, I stopped.
Twenty years later,
on foreign soil, I remembered that dusty Oklahoma day as another dust sprite was launched by my stride. Recalling the wisdom of my grandfather, my boots met the ground . . . like old friends.
. . . for a dusty moment I thought I could see my grandfather smiling back at me. . . . and I smiled back.
Note: My mom’s birthday was a few days ago. Her dad is a great inspiration to me. Happy Birthday Mom.
Oct 15, 2011
Oct 8, 2011
Image via Wikipedia
True North Adventures Outdoors Education’s leadership development program uses hiking in the mountains of Montana and experiential learning to develop the character of those who challenge to learn four CORE VALUES :
The CORE VALUES are surprisingly well integrated by Keith MacMurdie into every aspect of this unique outdoor, real-time education:
- how to use a compass
- understanding map scale
- how to transfer a compass to a map
- how to orient a map
- taking a field bearing
- boxing a compass
- orienteering ( How about this Chinese orienteering wedding ! )
True World Group / True World Foods recognizes the quality and usefulness of True North’s Outdoor Education’s experiential training program and has been sending several teams from their nationwide operation over the past few years. They believe this training can result in benefits for the individual, those whom they serve-lead and the company’s business culture. This is September 2011 this team climbed Mt. Hollow Top (Elev. 10,604 ft. ), near Butt, Montana, which I was privileged to join.
The Truth About Leadership: The No-fads, to the Heart-of-the-Matter Facts You Need to Know
By James Kouzes , Barry Posner
Click Here to listen to an audio sample
In these turbulent times, when the very foundations of organizations and societies are being shaken, leaders need to move beyond the pessimistic predictions, the trendy fads, and the simplistic solutions. They need to turn to what’s real and what’s proven, to understand what the evidence tells us about how exemplary leaders get extraordinary things done. This is the imperative that best-selling, award-winning authors James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner have undertaken in their engaging, personal, and bold new audiobook, The Truth About Leadership.
- There is a leader in all of us! (hrmexplorer.wordpress.com)
- Harvard Business: It's the Leadership, Stupid (blogs.hbr.org)
- Book Review: The Success Gurus: 17 Lessons in Greatness from the Best Minds in Business by Andrew Clancy (blogcritics.org)
- What Will Be Your Legacy? (peterzehrenanonprofitperspective.com)
- Best-Selling Authors and Leadership Development Experts Jack Uldrich and Jeff Appelquist to Keynote Life Science Alley Event (prweb.com)
- Leaders don't need titles (empwaynek.wordpress.com)
- Envisioning Leadership (avaya.com)
- Founders, Culture, and Succession: Thursday Thoughts (jimkane.wordpress.com)
- Leadership: A Big Fat Who Cares? (linked2leadership.com)